Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Make some mistakes

I think the problem with resolutions is that we set our sights on the big picture, which is often overwhelming and takes a long time to achieve.
 
For the last few years, I've chosen a big-picture goal, and then gone about it by setting small tasks for myself to accomplish throughout the year. By giving myself manageable items to check off a list, I set myself up for success, and am more likely to actually achieve my big-picture result.
 
I'd like 2015 to be a year of big change. I plan to accomplish that by completing a few smaller goals:  
  • Get a promotion (already applied)
  • Earn a new designation (or at least start one - some take more than a year)
  • Travel to someplace I haven't been
  • Learn to make something in my crock pot
  • Add to my "Rememberlutions Jar" each day
  • Self-publish a book (or at least get it started)
  • Less searching and worrying (this will have to be a day to day thing)
  • More faith that things will work out on their own (more day to day)
  • Napping - because napping is important
  • Make a few mistakes (this should be easy, particularly with the crock pot goal - and the less worrying)
Why mistakes? Change requires that I do things I've never done, which means I'm bound to mess things up. In order to change, I can't be afraid to make mistakes. Instead, I make them a goal - which practically forces me to try new things. See what I did there?
 
"I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something." Neil Gaiman
 
Cheers to 365 days of mistakes - make 'em count!

No comments:

Post a Comment